Marriage Licenses

If you want to get married, you’ll need a marriage license.

  • Marriages in Iowa are between 2 people who are:
    • 18 years of age and older
    • Not already or still legally married to someone else or each other
    • Not closely related by blood or first cousins
    • Legally competent to enter into a civil contract
  • Minors: Persons aged 16 and 17 may only marry with special permission from a judge and should request a "Consent to Marriage of a Minor" form when making an application for their marriage license (At least one parent or guardian must sign the consent form). Complete the form and present it to a judge within the same judicial district as the county in which you wish your license issued. The Clerk of District Court office can provide additional information. Return the signed form in order to complete the marriage application process.
  • To apply for a marriage license the couple intending to marry and one witness (someone that’s acquainted with the couple and is 18 or older) must come into the office and fill out the application. The applicants and witness must have a photo I.D. The fee is $35.

Valid Date

When the marriage license valid date is computed, the day of application is excluded. Then 4 days after that, the license is valid (weekend days are included in the count). So:

Date of Application
Valid Date of License

The license does not expire unless it is not retrieved from the County Registrar within six months from the date of application, the application is then considered null and void.

If the applicants are unable to come into our office in person, we can mail the application or email the application.